Wednesday, June 10, 2009

building bridges/ opening new doors/ other cliches about new opportunities/ ...everybody's tires

Today was definitely the most exciting day of my internship so far.

Damn I really wish the internet was working earlier when I really felt like writing this blog. Unfortunately, the internet here sucks and my computer has been freaking out the past couple of days. Now I'm all tired and much less excited than I was earlier.

But basically, things are looking up; I can carry this internship over into my senior seminar and then more than likely into a thesis when I go on to get my masters... lots of doors opening and meeting lots of people that would be good to know if I decided to pursue this newest line of interest. I do suppose that's what an internship is all about. But I actually got very excited today about stuff that probably sounds super boring (mapping and compiling a complete list of historic Cherokee villages in NC). I'm just worried that this is nothing more than my latest crazed interest that will phase out within a couple weeks/ a month. Granted, it is a little more specific. I can kind of see where this would take me, school and future-ish wise... I could be a leading expert in something! People would come to be when someone wants to build a sewer line in the middle of nowhere! woooo

Oh, and just so everybody knows- my roommate's name is Lori. yup, it's Lori Link who will be plaguing my existence in Asheville. She seemed nice at first- yeah, sure... maybe a little overly friendly, but not... well, weird... But then I came home yesterday and she let a little of the crazy out. Very nosy, going through my stuff and asking a lot of weird, random questions. Then she compared herself to Bob from the movie What about Bob? (if you haven't seen it, check it out- funny funny), and the thing is- it really isn't so much of a stretch. She really seems like she has done way too many drugs, and she loves, absolutely loves, to talk about what kind of person she is. wooooo maybe I'll give her another chance. I will, since I have to be here for another 7 weeks or something. I'm brought back to the first 3 minutes I met her, when she told me that she would soon be invading every aspect of my life. ~sigh~

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad your internship is at least becoming interesting :) Don't let it get too interesting, though! I won't let Asheville take you! But being a leading expert in something would indeed be fun. I hope to one day be an expert in flying armored battle suits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I definitely commented last night, and it showed up as posted but for whatever reason it's gone now. Sad. It was something like this:

    Yay excitement! I'm glad the internship is proving to be learning-filled and interest-piquing. Indian history and archaeology is a really cool subject. Tell that nosy girl to keep away from your stuff or you'll punch her in the nose. I'm still going to convert her name to Carlie in my head when she's written/spoken about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty much echoing what has already been said, but it's nice that the internship is becoming more exciting.

    Your roommate seems odd just from that one paragraph. I'd be pissed if I found someone just going through my stuff.

    ReplyDelete