Monday, May 25, 2009

anna's asheville adventures woooooo

I honestly can't believe I'm starting a blog- something I've always, for as long as I can remember, made fun of. Being in Asheville, bored out of my mind, is apparently enough of a catalyst to get this thing going.
The first night here was weird- I haven't been that lonely in a long time, not even when I moved up to Chapel Hill. And Chapel Hill was a two year commitment, much longer than the mere two month commitment I've made here. I tried not to let the feeling show so much while Griffin was here- it would've made the fact that he had to leave that much harder. I've never really been able to empathize with people vulnerable to homesickness, but maybe it was just because I didn't really have a place I could feel homesick for. And wanting to be back in Charlotte- now that's a bizarre feeling for me. I don't generally like the idea of being in the same city as my father, but I suppose I have built up enough good reasons to be there to be able to feel homesick.

Enough moping- that'll just get boring and angst-ridden posts are what made me despise blogging in the first place.
Matt and I were talking about why people get married- because at least then you have one person tied to you. All your other friends can move away and leave you but that one person won’t, or isn't supposed to in theory. I was thinking- how do people do it? What happens when all your close friends move away? I moved away from my friends once, but not for long, and they were one of the reasons I went back to Charlotte.
I think I felt lonely because two months isn't really enough time to get established in one place, or make bonds with new people. So it's just me, and the mountains of Asheville. So far anyway...

To the people who may read this (I'm thinking maybe 2, or 3...), sorry for the ramble. I'll try to be more interesting in the following posts :)

3 comments:

  1. ah.... blogs... So you know my feelings on Asheville... Its really strange that you get homesick for the first time in Asheville... Such a wonderful place... I wonder why it hit you so hard when its much more temporary than what you had expected at Chapel Hill... Just look at the mountains and if you feel down in your spirits again go to that rock and breathe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The concept of moving to a new place with zero connections to other people terrifies me. I'm convinced if that ever happens to me I'll turn into a total hermit. It would be very good to bring someone with you. Sorry you're lonely dearie. Miss you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really is a bit scary. I don't know if I would be able to just move away from everybody, unless I knew it was only temporary. But you won't be completely lonely all the time. I'm going to come see you once I get insurance. Which will be soon. Because you being gone really sucks. :(

    ReplyDelete